92 Megapixel Panorama Made From In Game Big Shots

• Thread starter VAN ZILE
  • 10 comments
Holy crap VAN ZILE! That is an amazing idea, my jaw *literally* dropped when I started turning it around! Freaking amazing, bro.

I see that this photo got frontpage news at Forzamotorsport.net. Nice work.

I think Van is a T10 guy. Had a few races in the production hooper with him and he had the T10 logo where the club shield usually is and the club was [T10].

Anyway, how many meg is this thing? I got pretty finite bandwidth that I can use per month.

First off, here's a link to a slightly improved version

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=3cc77bfd-b9dd-45ed-851c-f00d183c769b

Yes, I am a "Turn 10 guy". However, I just started 2 weeks ago and the community team hadn't yet equated my gamertag with the new guy sitting down the hall when they posted a link in the blog. I talked to them yesterday about that, and as of this morning Im showing up on the official forum as an employee. Sorry for any confusion there. For full disclosure I should probably also mention that until I joined Turn 10, I was working on Photosynth, making this a marriage of two passions :-)

All this being said I'd like to think my panorama got called out in the blog on it's merit rather than the fact that I'm on the team.

Measuring MBs for a panorama like this isn't really applicable as it's a multiscale image. Basically the image is scaled to a few different levels of resolution and then each one is chopped into square tiles. The viewer will only download the tiles you need based on what you're looking at, so if you go to the link and don't do much zooming or panning you'll only downloading a very small part of the image. Zoom in a bit, and you'll download tiles from the next level of detail, but again only those in the field of view of the viewer. For the initial view of the pano you're only downloading about 130KB of imagery. Hope that helps.

First off, here's a link to a slightly improved version

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=3cc77bfd-b9dd-45ed-851c-f00d183c769b

Yes, I am a "Turn 10 guy". However, I just started 2 weeks ago and the community team hadn't yet equated my gamertag with the new guy sitting down the hall when they posted a link in the blog. I talked to them yesterday about that, and as of this morning Im showing up on the official forum as an employee. Sorry for any confusion there. For full disclosure I should probably also mention that until I joined Turn 10, I was working on Photosynth, making this a marriage of two passions :-)

All this being said I'd like to think my panorama got called out in the blog on it's merit rather than the fact that I'm on the team.

Measuring MBs for a panorama like this isn't really applicable as it's a multiscale image. Basically the image is scaled to a few different levels of resolution and then each one is chopped into square tiles. The viewer will only download the tiles you need based on what you're looking at, so if you go to the link and don't do much zooming or panning you'll only downloading a very small part of the image. Zoom in a bit, and you'll download tiles from the next level of detail, but again only those in the field of view of the viewer. For the initial view of the pano you're only downloading about 130KB of imagery. Hope that helps.

Thanks for clearing that up. Didn't feel like DLing a possible couple hundred mbs of big shots stitched together :lol:

I didn't use Photosynth since its beta a few years ago, with the St-Marc Place in Venice, and your link doesn't seem to fit the original purpose of the Web-App, which was to place independant pictures in a pseudo-3D universe - not being limited to a fixed position with moving angle like other existing techs (old demo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjLqCE4ZQQw). Did Photosynth abandonned that?

Back