Gran Turismo 8 - if you had the power to completely design the experience…

I would design GT8 like what GT4 was like.

Loads of races, licenses mean something, Endurance races are not 24minutes being 24hrs in game.
Updates are meaningful, not spoon feeding content like we get with GT7.
5 races each month which takes <30minutes to do.

GT7 seems to be catered to casual gamers.
Hence why Licenses do not mean anything as casuals dont want to do them, casuals do not want to sit down for several hours to do endurance races.

Last edited:
One little idea I had for licenses is to have a special Sport Mode license, heavy on racing etiquette and sportsmanship lessons, and make it a prerequisite for access.

Also persistent and deliberate violations of etiquette and sportsmanship will strip you of your Sport Mode license and you’d have to do it all again to be allowed back in.

Probably dreaming with that one though I’m sure :lol:

One little idea I had for licenses is to have a special Sport Mode license, heavy on racing etiquette and sportsmanship lessons, and make it a prerequisite for access.

Also persistent and deliberate violations of etiquette and sportsmanship will strip you of your Sport Mode license and you’d have to do it all again to be allowed back in.

Probably dreaming with that one though I’m sure :lol:
Problem with this idea is the penalty system punishes the victim most of the time.

Just 1 thing ...... add a practise/ test session .... where you can select car and track , then adjust settings , do a few laps then come into pits and adjust tuning . Without having to quit session adjust tune then restart session. . You know like almost every other racing sim has had for years . 😁.

Cool thread idea!

1) Make what I call a 'Money Race'. Where it's a single race, medium length (like 5-10laps), medium difficulty race where you win a significant car for a more difficult series later on. And said car just happens to be worth a ton of money (1-3mil?). Did I mention you could do this race over and over to win the prize car again and again?

2) Bring back every original track in their former GT6 glory in hi-res, along with the new ones (because why not?).

3) Bring back every actual race track in former GT titles.

4) Bring back all the missing cars from GT3 & GT4, in their current gen, hi-res, ray tracing form.

5) Bring Sophy to its full potential, dump the old AI completely. Along with scalable difficulty for each race.

6) Improve BOP

7) Improve Penalty System

8) Add a little bit of storyline to the offline career mode with two calendars; kart to professional racing calendar and a fun/off season, or maybe invitational only calendar. Perhaps the protagonist's father was a pro driver but only made it to GT4 and tragically died in a race (your uncle raised you and brought you up in racing); one you eventually do yourself. I'm thinking the professional race calendar would be races in which car specs are locked down or use BOP and you earn top prize money. The invitational calendar would host more open, 'suggested' BHP races, smaller payouts but with those valuable prize cars.

9) The only restriction to buying a car is money; no more invitations :yuck:

10) Add caster and tire pressure adjustments

11) Add a proper clutch option, that does not instantly make you faster when using it

12) Update physics engine and tire model (ACC physics anyone?)

13) Bring back slow motion replays along with control inputs for them. Or better yet, integrate with Motec.

14) Make the drift events completely optional (rewardless). Even expand upon what was in GT7, but don't force me to do them, also :yuck:

15) Bring back side events like the One Lap Magic and Driving Missions from GT4 (but leave out Mission 34, or if you bring it back, don't make us wait 90 seconds, c'mon now)

16) Increase the license test difficulty.

I think the visuals are on point and polished, I love the PSVR2 and motion option and I think the sound is 'fine'. If PD outsourced some of this work, it may be possible to get it all done. If this was all promised, I'd be fine waiting another 4-5 years before GT8 launched.

Jerome
Mostly agree except [16] substantially disagree. Unless we can copy each others save games which would include all license are gold already and start 'fresh' without any stoopid license test stuff..! I deeply hated license tests from GT3. But make it optional!

Last edited:
I’d develop the sandbox experience. There’s so much potential. Basically, you can already do exactly what you like with GT7 in terms of custom races etc but 1. It took me like two years to realise that, and 2. It’s clunky and could be taken way further.

You can already buy any car, develop it into anything you like, download thousands of really professional real world liveries or do your own, and if you select from your own garage, race it against any opposition you like. For example, full grid of 1980s F1 cars with real world (even Tobacco) liveries, with the PP adjusted to reflect the real competitive order from any season you want - you can do that. But it’ll take 10 million credits to buy ten F1 cars and so much time. You’ll have to change the driver names before every single race. Literally nobody is going to do that, but technically GT7 lets you. You can also do full day-night cycles, changing weather, race strategies, you can do anything here you can in Project CARS 2 except qualifying. So how about make that whole ‘create any type of race you want to’ easier and more user friendly? Just make what’s already there more usable and more ‘front and centre’ in terms of being part of the package.

Maybe it’s just me, but that’s what I want from a really big ‘generalist’ racing game like this, and it’s been a bit of a revelation for me over the last couple of weeks that I can do this with GT7. But realistically, it’s hidden under all the menu books etc to the point where I bet a very small percentage of players use the game this way, and it’s massively user unfriendly. I think it’s probably time to move on from quirky characters telling you everything they know about Japanese hot hatches, have they never heard of Wikipedia?

I love the fact that the premise of this thread is free rein to redesign the whole game, and we still have people just listing their one or two gripes that they post in every thread.

Imagination is running at a deficit, it seems.
To be fair, its far easier to discuss specific elements the game design than to cover everything.

Instead of asking about how to completely redesign the game, the OP could ask something like...
  • How would you redo the Cafe Menu Books to be more engaging?
  • What changes would need to be made to make you play Music rally more regularly?
  • What QOL updates would you apply to make tuning more accessible and worthwhile?
  • What are some things you enjoy about Gran Turismo 7? What are some issues that could be addressed in them?
  • etc.
Too precise and people end up complaining that we're the ones doing the dev's work, when we simultaneously want them to listen to our feedback (lol).

I’ll just say what everyone is thinking, just remake GT4 with modern graphics/hardware and cars, then call it a day. 👍

You just said what I was thinking 😄

GT4's race structure, license structure, progression structure. 24 hour races last 24 hours. Championships have qualifying. GT4's full car list and circuit list. An awesome intro video like GT3 and 4 had. I used to watch and listen to the whole clip when I fired up GT4, and it got me right into the mood. In my opinion GT4 had the last good track listing, too. Keep b-spec, even.

To that, add online, I guess like GT7 is fine. It was fine in GT5. Add the cars that weren't there in GT4. Add VR. Add 20 cars per race instead of 6. Add Circuito De La Sierra or track builder, or something that feels more like a fun road trip in a car than a track day. Keep photomode with locations. Keep engine swaps, just because it makes the Beetle cool.

Do not add buy invitations. They suck. Do not wait 10 years to release it (ok I'm pretending GT Sport didn't happen).

That would do for me.

To exercise my imagination a little:
Tops on convertibles can be raised or lowered. Doesn't need to be animated.
Add more European and American classic cars to cater for my Western tastes. No need to remove any existing ones to make room. Keep them all too.
Add.. I dunno. I had a brilliant idea but I've forgotten it.

To be fair, its far easier to discuss specific elements the game design than to cover everything.

Instead of asking about how to completely redesign the game, the OP could ask something like...
  • How would you redo the Cafe Menu Books to be more engaging?
  • What changes would need to be made to make you play Music rally more regularly?
  • What QOL updates would you apply to make tuning more accessible and worthwhile?
  • What are some things you enjoy about Gran Turismo 7? What are some issues that could be addressed in them?
  • etc.
Too precise and people end up complaining that we're the ones doing the dev's work, when we simultaneously want them to listen to our feedback (lol).
Indeed, but I'd wager that if GT8 came out at $80 and it was GT7 but with GT Sophy in place of the regular AI, I think we'd see some very pissed-off people - even though that was a suggestion back in the thread of how someone would approach GT8 with the power to completely redesign it.

It's a thread that should provoke some more in-depth thought, I think, and deserves some slightly longer answers!

Add.. I dunno. I had a brilliant idea but I've forgotten it.

Oh, I remember! It wasn't that brilliant an idea though. It was, allow a spectator to watch the race in VR from the passenger seat if they have their own PSVR2... allowing passenger rides around a favourite circuit. Thus someone who has never played a racing computer game before can experience what it's like to lap a circuit in VR, instead of just experiencing what it's like to headbutt a tyrewall every time they get near a corner.

Or allow replays to be viewed from the in-car VR perspective. Is that available already? I need to check.

Last edited:
I would add at “GT Street” segment to the game and have an open map with traffic. Allowing players to do “no hesi” driving on the highway, backroad/canyon drifting or touge, parking lots for car shows/livery competitions, “takeovers”, police chases and even hill climb events. I get it GT is a racing focused game but there are so many lobbies with ppl trying to do these types of things.

Last edited:
I’ll just say what everyone is thinking, just remake GT4 with modern graphics/hardware and cars, then call it a day. 👍

I love the fact that the premise of this thread is free rein to redesign the whole game, and we still have people just listing their one or two gripes that they post in every thread.

Imagination is running at a deficit, it seems.
Make everything optional! At least after 'unlocking' which shouldn't be necessary but Kaz is too rigid, so after completing a one-make race or championship or achieving 3rd place or better we can use any tire, any car, any BHP, any PP, any weight, any starting place, any nationality!!! Problem fixed! Now there's only too few events but let players upload their favorite custom races and then we can choose freely to implement them into our single-player campaign. The top 10 player made custom races by popularity should be ranked officially on the servers in GT7.

Back