Help tuning the TS030 for the Interlagos time trial event

• Thread starter Woddeny
  • 20 comments
Australia
Australia
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for advice and if it is please point me in the right direction, I already tried in the time trial thread.

I am trying to break into the 1:19s for the Gr.1 Super lap Interlagos time trial using the TS030 Hybrid '12 but I am really stuck in the 1:21s any track videos, tuning setups or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am very new so any good resources would be appreciated I tried YouTubing to find someone setting a faster time to maybe try and copy their setup but couldn't find anything I have also been watching some of the top replays on the leaderboards in game which has helped a bit but again no way to see their tune.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What setup are you running at the moment? How does the balance feel in braking, turn-in, apex, and power-down? This information will make it easier to assist. Furthermore, a video of your lap may also provide insight to the car's behavior & how your inputs are influencing the balance.

- Tune

- Best lap so far.

As for as it being about just my actual skill I can already see a few things I need to get more consistent which can help shave off some time but getting to the 1:18 which is the best lap in this car still seems super out of reach so much so that I am questioning my tune. Not saying I will get a 1:18 ever but still just looking for more sets of eyes on the tune.

its based on jejes tune that I found in this forum only tweaks are the gear ratios to get more out of the 6th gear as I found I wasn't winding it completely out on the last straight.

As far as handling goes I am pretty confident most corners I struggle to cut as much off corner 1/2 as the better plays do without the rear kicking out completely on the dirt but I imagine that's a skill issue not a tune one.

I also struggle at turn 13 I am finding that my best laps usually have a pretty sloppy exit out of 13 with some wheel spin but when I go slow and clean and seem to get on gripped power sooner I am still slower then when I power through and spin a bit so not sure what to do about that there.

I have a post with 2 videos queued up awaiting mod approval should hopefully be with you shortly. I also should mention I am on controller with 5 sensitivity if that helps at all.

Ride Height
I can definitely see some issues in the setup that you've provided that ultimately make the car more difficult to drive. Having low rake (difference between front and rear ride height) is shifting the vehicle balance massively towards understeer since the rear has no leverage to transfer weight laterally. It is faster in the speed traps but the time you lose in the corners waiting for rotation is more than what you get in a straight line.

Wing Settings
The maximum rear wing setting is hurting car's overall lap time potential by increasing drag down the straights, mitigating the low-rake methodology, and moving the CoP towards the rear which shifts the dynamic balance to understeer mid-corner. However, it does provide more stability on power-down so I would advise that you only run as much as you need to drive comfortably and nothing more.

Differential Acceleration
It seems that to compensate for the lack of tuning mobility, quite a bit of acceleration ramp was added to the differential to allow for the user to steer with the throttle. In prototype cars around a track like Interlagos where power-down is tricky with the curbs as it is, I would not advise this approach is it ultimately requires even more precise throttle application than usual.

Toe Angle
Like the differential, quite a lot of rear toe-in was also added to aid in mid-exit cornering mobility. This is something I like to do quite a lot myself as I also play on a controller where it's harder to get steer out of the car as it is, but I think 0.38 is a little on the excessive side for this application. The high value is also likely a compensation factor for the low rake.

With the setup provided in the video above, the best lap time I was able to manage was a 1:20.4 but that is with a 1:20.1 theoretical best lap time after a few laps. In the contrary, I made a setup myself using an old LMP2-trim league tune as my foundation. With my setup, I was able to do a 1:19.425. I attribute this to high rake allowing me to ultimately carry more speed through the corners. I have shared my setup below. Note that I drive without traction control enabled as in my experience it hurts more than it helps, especially on setting one as you have it. The rapid repetitive cutoff of throttle tends to upset the balance massively, especially if you're on a curb or in a corner that drops away and/or is off camber.

I understand there is a learning curve involved with driving without traction control enabled but I highly suggest working towards that as it will undoubtedly unlock more potential lap time. My last suggestion would be to increase the steering snesitivity for your controller to seven from five. Gran Turismo dampens the steering for controllers so switching from clockwise to counterclockwise steer is artificially slow and can impact one's ability to place the car where they need to. A higher value will allow you to steer from left to right more quickly and allow you to not only transfer the car more effectively, but also increase your chances of saving the car when you do lose the rear-end or are driving in wet conditions.

If you want to watch my lap, you can find my replay on my GT Sport Community page or by searching the tags ts030, interlagos, timetrial. If you have any thought or questions about anything, please feel free to ask. I'm definitely not the best driver in the world but I'll do my best to answer them effectively.

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20211224071521.png
Gran Turismo®SPORT_20211224071547.png

Transmission Instructions:
  1. Reset to default.
  2. Set final gear to 5.000.
  3. Set top speed (auto set) to minimum.
  4. Set gear ratios as normal.
  5. Set final gear as normal.
This is to allow for closer gear ratios & very slightly improved acceleration as you stay near peak power a little better.

Last edited:
You are an absolute legend thank you for being so detailed in your response explaining it all and not just dumping numbers I really appreciate it! I’ll give this a go asap and let you know how I fair. Thanks so much and hope you have a merry Christmas.

You are an absolute legend thank you for being so detailed in your response explaining it all and not just dumping numbers I really appreciate it! I’ll give this a go asap and let you know how I fair. Thanks so much and hope you have a merry Christmas.
Ah no problem, mate. No issue with helping out people who are interested in learning & improving their own craft. Too many people just want the numbers without any context or justification. Merry Christmas!

I haven’t had a chance to drive yet being Christmas and all but out of my curiosity might I ask you (and anyone else who happens upon this post) what resolution, frame rate and response time you play at?

Not anything I can answer definitively. All I can say is I don't have anything spectacular. Normal PS4 (not a PS4 Pro), normal TV manufactured in 2013. While increased FPS and response time, etc. enhances the end-user playing experience, I do not believe they have any measurable impact on lap time performance.

Hey I am having trouble setting my gear ratios the same as you I always end up with different numbers. I converting the mph to kmh still not getting right, what order am I meant to set the max/ratios/final gears to get the same numbers?

Hey I am having trouble setting my gear ratios the same as you I always end up with different numbers. I converting the mph to kmh still not getting right, what order am I meant to set the max/ratios/final gears to get the same numbers?
I included a step-by-step in the spoiler tab under the image with the gearbox settings. I’ll copy and paste it here for convenience. Let me know if it’s still not working for you.

Transmission Instructions:
  1. Reset to default.
  2. Set final gear to 5.000.
  3. Set top speed (auto set) to minimum.
  4. Set gear ratios as normal.
  5. Set final gear as normal.

Oh whoops I see what I've got mixed up I converted the top max speed setting but not the ratio/max speed thanks I got it now!

Took hours and hours of grinding but ended up with a 1:19:921 not sure if Im gonna try more as Im pretty tilted. It felt no matter what tweaks I made to the setup or no matter how many times I did corner 1,2 it felt like I was just pulling a slot machine wether I would make it through with good speed or just spin out. Every other corner I can see what I am doing right or wrong and shave off a little bit here and there but 1,2 felt completely random. your setup definitely helped get me into 1:19 which was ultimately my goal so it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
No need to feel tilted mate, it’s a difficult combo and you’ve shaved off a whole second which is massive. Admittedly, Interlagos isn’t my favorite track and I struggle there a lot myself so I understand the frustration especially on a controller.

For turn one make sure you’re not turning in to the corner too late. I’ve found that if I wait too long I get into the marbles a bit and lose some rear traction, or that might just simply be overdriving the entry. Turn two, the right-hander, try to square up the car over the curbs as much as you can so you don’t have a bunch of excess steering input. The car should have enough high-speed turn in it to take turn three from the inside.

Do you mind if I ask what you were changing with the setup?

Last edited:
Yup I’ll show what I’m working with when I’m back at ps5 in the meantime if I were to make some changes to traction while accelerating out of corners what kind of things should I tweak? I know this is definitely more of a just be better on the gas pedal thing but that train of thought isn’t getting me anyway.

I can read off a laundry list of things you could do to give you a better sense of stability but if what I suspect is true regarding turn one and two then there’s no setup change that’s actually going to fix the issue. All it will do is make the car understeer more and it’ll ultimately hurt you over the rest of the lap.

The most useful change based on the information I have/can infer would be to raise the front ride height slightly to allow for more clearance from the curb to the skid. That will decrease the amount of bottoming that happens on the turn two curb and thus lessen the tire contact latch load variation that results in loss of traction. This will make the car understeer more though since you’re removing rake.

Again this is all based on an assumption that you’re absolutely demolishing that turn two curb and have a lot of steering angle as well. I would focus on most of my energy on adjusting the line through the first two corners rather than compensate for it with the setup.

I found out you can race against peoples ghost if they allow it which I am doing now and out of hundreds of trys I can never match the fastest TS030 driver through turn 1,2 if I try and match his clipping of the apex on turn on 1 have to brake harder and earlier if I try and Snap opposite direction after it as fast as him the rear kicks out if I try and pull my car out of the curb on the exit of turn 2 the car snaps the opposite direction. Feels like his car is vacuumed to the floor.

Im making a compilation of failed attempts at 1,2 for you or anyone else to review as a last ditch effort for you to maybe spot something but otherwise I have just hit a skill wall for now. I either try to match or outbreak hime and miss the apex or go slower for a better line and he just takes off.

Fail comp turn 1/2 I can ofc make it more often at a decent speed doing my own line like I did to get 1:19s and 20s but this is trying to match the best.

Fail comp turn 1/2 I can ofc make it more often at a decent speed doing my own line like I did to get 1:19s and 20s but this is trying to match the best.

Have a look at the top guy's lap and see what gear they are in turn 1 and 2, but it seem in the vid that the gears are the problem you got here.

Back