DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
I've had problems with the game. For a long time my Career Rally has been crashing and resetting. Recently my CM Flat Out started kicking me to my Home screen so I raised a ticket. EA's helpful responses were at an average of one per 3 weeks:

1. Turn your XBox on and off.
2. Delete your cache.
3. Delete the game and re-install it. I did this and lost two files in the process. Probably things I was gifted no longer in the store.
4. Ask what console I have then maintain radio silence for 5 weeks.
5. Tell me that DR 2.0 is not backwards compatible with the XBox Series X and "that you review Microsoft / Sony's documentation on troubleshooting crashes". Will Sony help me with my XBox ?
6. Ask me to create a new profile.
7. Tell me it must be the cloud and go MIA again.

I logged in to DR2.0 today for the first time in a few weeks and my Career Rally progress has gone again and now all my tuning saves have gone. I hope the new game has less issues and better support than a guy who can copy and paste standard text files.

Last edited:
Picked this up cheap on eBay. Having ended up upside down in a ditch more than once in 1.0 my first run was brown pants time but I'm glad I could just jump in and actually end up winning the first career rally. It was surprisingly forgiving on an Xbox controller even if I couldn't quite follow the default co-driver Phil's accent at first.

Presumably hard difficulty gets unlocked later but this is plenty tough enough for me and I'm sure it'll get tougher as the career progresses with ice and extreme weather conditions. I still haven't figured out to change the camera view yet but cockpit mode provides plenty of visibility compared to other games I've played including Codies's own GRiD Legends.

EDIT: found the
IMG_20230418_183039.jpg
button 🔥

Last edited:
Picked this up cheap on eBay. Having ended up upside down in a ditch more than once in 1.0 my first run was brown pants time but I'm glad I could just jump in and actually end up winning the first career rally. It was surprisingly forgiving on an Xbox controller even if I couldn't quite follow the default co-driver Phil's accent at first.

Presumably hard difficulty gets unlocked later but this is plenty tough enough for me and I'm sure it'll get tougher as the career progresses with ice and extreme weather conditions. I still haven't figured out to change the camera view yet but cockpit mode provides plenty of visibility compared to other games I've played including Codies's own GRiD Legends.

EDIT: found the View attachment 1248933 button 🔥
If you're like me you'll find the jump to the next level in career is steep (too much of a jump in my opinion). I went straight back down to the bottom tier again.
I found the "Historic rally" mode more fun, plus that is a good way to earn credits to buy more cars. Once you have a few cars, you can do some of the daily events - they're good fun.

Do you have the "base" version with just the 6 rallies, or do you have the other 6 rallies as well? (7 if you have the McRae events)

It was GOTY so the McRae tribute came with.

Believe me, I'm staying in the Historic Rally kindergarten until I git gud. Wimping out and switching to hood view (once I discovered how) shaved literal minutes off my stage times (and oodles of credits off my repair bills) though and enabled me to fight my way up from 9th place at the halfway point to win my first championship by about three points.

That final Spain road rally full of long straights and 6-turns was super fast though... not looking forward to doing them in a Quattro S1 or 037. :scared: I've done a few of the daily challenges to get a taste of rallying in slightly faster cars. There's plenty of gameplay meat on the career and I haven't even tried Rallycross yet. Hype is real vroom

Last edited:
Just tried dr2 on ps5, in driving its perfect like before, but the replays aren't smooth anymore sadly, with the car looking blurry passing near the tv cam.

Too bad, glad i kept my ps4 at least.

I don't have the time to grind the same course on the same car to find the brake points. I would rather have that information given to me so I can focus on the execution (strategy too, if racing with opponents) and appreciate the full roster of cars and courses.

In other sims, I use the racing line as a reference only for the brake points, but I don't follow it like a drone. Project CARS 3 had the best racing guide: a non-obtrusive marker to tell you when to start braking and no annoying line. Maybe one day I will see that in a rally sim.

Is it possible to tune the co-driver in Dirt Rally 2.0 to call the turn slightly before the brake point? I want to know before I buy.

You can adjust how early or late the co-driver calls the turns.

Just tried dr2 on ps5, in driving its perfect like before, but the replays aren't smooth anymore sadly, with the car looking blurry passing near the tv cam.

Too bad, glad i kept my ps4 at least.
Hate to say it, but given your issues both in this game and acc, it sounds like you’ve a defective ps5

After a couple of weeks with DR2.0 I'm very glad to say that in-game cash isn't impossible to come by, especially as I stupidly blew a couple of million on training my engineers instead of buying a car in each class. One of the monthly challenges just awarded me around 200k just for finishing the first of five events in an easy to drive Fulvia. Luckily St. Colin also blessed my garage with a bunch of cars to use to grind out more credits provided I don't completely wreck them first.

It's a shame the historic rallies only use the core five locations. Presumably they were programmed before the others were made available. I'm glad the daily events use dlc locations though so I don't have to create custom championships just to experience them.

Last edited:
wrc 2023 was expected soon but in my opinion at this point it will be released in October after F1😡
Well as Capcom demonstrated multiple times, its never a wise idea to release multiple games within almost the same time of each other as you more often then not risk cannibalizing the sales of both games. I imagine the WRC title probably had alot more work put in to it considering its a brand new game compared to what looks like another classic case of "Yearly Sports Title" release set for June (Combined with developing a title for two generations of systems, which is looking less & less like a great idea right now). I know its been silent but be patient. At best (Assuming there isn't another massive triple release for August or September), I'm thinking one of those months if it is coming for 2023.

Hate to say it, but given your issues both in this game and acc, it sounds like you’ve a defective ps5
Really? Jeezz i sure hope not, it be bad luck, did buy it new in undamaged box in a major store directly, went to get it even.
Are there some? I never heard of it.

Maybe my older tv could cause this? I don't know.
Most of my games, ps4 ones, run so much better, cleaner.
Even a few ps5 games i have, run perfect 60fps too.
But many do run worse, like when you set rt mode in some games, image crawls almost.

Jeez, i haven't even taken care of checking the warranty, i think you have to register or something.

Acc do you run no stutter at full grid on ps5?

Last edited:
Really? Jeezz i sure hope not, it be bad luck, did buy it new in undamaged box in a major store directly, went to get it even.
Are there some? I never heard of it.

Maybe my older tv could cause this? I don't know.
Most of my games, ps4 ones, run so much better, cleaner.
Even a few ps5 games i have, run perfect 60fps too.
But many do run worse, like when you set rt mode in some games, image crawls almost.

Jeez, i haven't even taken care of checking the warranty, i think you have to register or something.

Acc do you run no stutter at full grid on ps5?
Acc does have micro hitches in busy scenes even on pc, that’s just unreal engine for you but likes of dirt rally should run perfect all the time

Only other thing I can think is that your old tv has low response rate and can’t keep up with faster information being fed to it.

But back to acc, it should look multiple times better than ps4 version, again, I’d be looking at changing tv.

I was in your position when I got ps5 and found best bang for buck in a benq 32” 4K hdr monitor, around £300 and much better response time and less input lag than a tv for similar money, I mounted it on a monitor arm right behind my steering wheel, Fov calculated in acc works out at 45.
Can’t tell you enough how big of a difference the smaller impact lag makes, it’s a game changer for sim racing!

Yay, I won my first H2 rally in Germany on soft tyres and felt like a king :lol:

That newfound swagger literally fell off a cliff in the following Argentinian run though as I ended up driving my car off the side of the mountain in successive stages. :ouch:

Last edited:
Decided to try out tuning my Golf GTi engine up a stage to catch up with the championship leader who unlike me didn't keep plummeting over the cliff edge into the waiting steppes below.

Like Duff beer engine tuning seems to be the cause of and solution to all life's problems. It causes me to make more screwups on turns but enables me to pull ahead on the straights while grinding my tyres and gearbox into a fine powder.

Those missed turns look great on the replays though as my car has to go sideways a lot more to compensate for my poorer listening skills and navigation so the game has become even more nervewracking and exciting to play.

It's great that the game doesn't reward failure but instead makes failing fun and amusing and increases the one more go factor.

Last edited:
Just completed my first RS200 night stage on a heavily degraded Taylor Farm Sprint and I'm finally beginning to get an inkling of how absolutely mentally deranged those real life Group B drivers must have been. I can only imagine what Group S would've been like.:scared:

Having won the other stages comfortably, I didn't have to rush but even taking it easy it was more than a bit terrifying. Can't think of what it must've been like for early purchasers of the game before they tweaked the AI difficulty.

Last edited:
Hello!

Should I use soft or hard tires on wet conditions on gravel? Soft tarmac tires perform well when warmed up but it is difficult to do when it rains. Is this true for gravel tires?

I don't feel quite big difference in game. :confused:

Hello!

Should I use soft or hard tires on wet conditions on gravel? Soft tarmac tires perform well when warmed up but it is difficult to do when it rains. Is this true for gravel tires?

I don't feel quite big difference in game. :confused:
On gravel always use softs, unless you’ve club rally with 6 stages and no service, but even at that I’d still use softs.

The only time I don't use softs is when I'm too eager to start a stage and hammer the start button before swapping them*. Even then if it's an intermediate stage I'm still running on the softs from the previous stage as I slip and slide through the gravel while howling in anguish with tears of frustration running down my face. I wish I knew a way to set them as the default tyre.

*Of course you have to use snow or winter tyres when the game forces you to.

Last edited:
I found the "Historic rally" mode more fun, plus that is a good way to earn credits to buy more cars. Once you have a few cars, you can do some of the daily events - they're good fun.
Believe me, I'm staying in the Historic Rally kindergarten until I git gud.
Well, that didn't take as long as I thought it would. Although I am by no means gud, I can get by on the weekly and monthly events and somehow managed to win the odd Career Rally to progress to Pro and even a RallyCross championship or two, all of which has helped my bank balance a lot before I blow it all on more engineers and parts upgrades.

Yes, it's noob Mikey here again and I'm really loving the learning curve on this game. It's so rewarding. I believe I've progressed to the point where I can actually start to admire the scenery (which I now notice includes other wrecked cars and weeping drivers) without immediately totalling my own vehicle beyond repair.

When I started the game a month ago having not played any rally games since DiRT 3 in 2011 I remember looking at the closing scene of the game's attract video on the title screen as a Golf GTi hurtles around the rocks and tight corners in Catamarca Province, Argentina and thinking "I'll never be able to do anything like that". Now I look at it and think "this is a sequence which requires only moderate skill".

I think what made the biggest difference was discovering those little poles with yellow and red triangles on them which clue me in to the angle of the approaching turn. I've also found that the Event Details button at service intervals is pretty useful for determining how many stages I have left before I can take a break to towel my sweat-soaked forehead.

I've still got a long way to go but co-driver Phil is actually starting to give me a grudging "well done" through gritted teeth at the end of some stages, so I think I've turned the corner now (without driving full pelt into a crag which is trying to kill me).

At any rate, I think DR2.0's game design and exorbitant repair and maintenance costs certainly encourage the correct attitude to learning and coming closer to mastering this vastly different racing discipline, even if I fully and truly believe that attitude is abject fear. :scared::lol:

Last edited:
Gulp, the game only let me play one career rally championship on each level before bumping me up to the next one. I only played three and now I'm on Elite level. Not expecting to win this time but the credits I get for participating will come in handy I guess. Time to go back to Custom and bump that difficulty slider up a little.

Last edited:
Gulp, the game only let me play one career rally championship on each level before bumping me up to the next one. I only played three and now I'm on Elite level. Not expecting to win this time but the credits I get for participating will come in handy I guess. Time to go back to Custom and bump that difficulty slider up a little.

Now it gets difficult buddy!

Now it gets difficult buddy!
Um... guess that's it for me. See you all in WRC23. :lol:

What I really wish they had done was give each car a separate career XP level so drivers of each vehicle only progressed to the next AI level once they'd won a championship in that particular car. This would've dramatically increased the longevity of career mode for me while giving me a lot more dopamine hits and credits for winning championships and giving me the chance to learn each car at my own pace. Either that, or make custom championships pay out credits on completion.

Oh well... maybe EA will force a career difficulty slider on them for the next game or something, but I'm not counting on it as then there'd be less incentive to purchase WRC24 and keep @PJ and his buds in burgers and pizzas. 🍔🍕

Last edited:
Yay, making some headway in Catamarca at last. Tommi Mäkinen's online equivalent must not have got out of bed yet.

68d7c03d-afb7-4f18-8887-d2cb23cc903e.png

Last edited:
At any rate, I think DR2.0's game design and exorbitant repair and maintenance costs certainly encourage the correct attitude to learning and coming closer to mastering this vastly different racing discipline, even if I fully and truly believe that attitude is abject fear. :scared::lol:
Another couple of months of daily practice and I'm happy to say I realise now that my apprehension of driving Group B monsters like the Audi Quattro S1 wasn't about crashing or skidding out, but with not knowing what to do next to get out of trouble. Now that I've upped my countersteering game and am learning how to recover from mistakes and foulups to some extent, the terror is beginning to abate leaving only enjoyment and excitement.

Last edited:
Another couple of months of daily practice and I'm happy to say I realise now that my apprehension of driving Group B monsters like the Audi Quattro S1 wasn't about crashing or skidding out, but with not knowing what to do next to get out of trouble. Now that I've upped my countersteering game and am learning how to recover from mistakes and foulups to some extent, the terror is beginning to abate leaving only enjoyment and excitement.
Nailing a good stage with one of the 4WD Group B cars is pretty damn satisfying. One of the last McRae challenges is a long Scottish stage in the 6R4. Beating that on the higher difficulty settings took a lot of patience, but was one of the most satisfying gaming moments I have had in a long, long, time.

Back