2016 Australian General Discussion

• Thread starter joshmuggo
  • 364 comments
Finally, they sent out the emails 👍 screengrabbed a pic:

Capture.PNG

Learn more link HERE

So disappointing. Other states get to qualify on the weekend but the Queensland qualifiers require you to not only pay a hefty price for entry but also are during the week which require time off work which I will not be allowed.

7HO
So disappointing. Other states get to qualify on the weekend but the Queensland qualifiers require you to not only pay a hefty price for entry but also are during the week which require time off work which I will not be allowed.
At least your state has an event. GT Academy is a big let down for many worldwide this year IMO:tdown:

Pretty cool to see the national final is at Movie World again this year! Might call down that weekend and check it out. 👍

Good luck to all the hopefuls for 2016.

I'm devoed as :(.

Gold Coast; Sep 7 - 9
Finals (Gold Coast) Sep 10 - 11...

My USA Holiday; Aug 21 - Sep 15.:banghead:

Suddenly I don't wanna go to America lol. Oh well GT-A waiting another year I guess.

Good luck to all the Aussies who will head to qualifying and the finals! Rooting for you guys.

Last edited:
It is a pain in the arse that we have to pay full entry price to Movie World, but I'm keen to have a crack as long as I can get to! Doubt I will progress coz I'm not rich enough to have even a wheel setup but anyway!

Anyone know what time the Melbourne event will be this Sunday? I'll be driving 1-2hrs to get there and would like to avoid turning up hours early, or worse, turning up too late.

Just got back from the Melbourne event. They're using GT-R GT3 at Brands Hatch. You get a 2 lap race to qualify, and if you meet the minimum cutoff time you get the actual qualifier (I won the race so I don't know what's the minimum time, sorry). Qualifier is 4 laps TT at Brands using the same car. They say no aids but I took a quick peek at the driving options before the race and ABS is on (everything else is off). Tyres is Racing Soft. Wheel is using Thrustmaster T300, CCS 3, FFT 5, FFS 8 (I'm typing this from memory so don't crucify me if something is off lol). My best time was 1.26.9xx but I'm usually 2-3 secs behind the top guys so I expect a 1.23-1.24 for the qualifying times. I asked and they say you get 3 tries per location. I'm not gonna go back myself but get in early if you do because the lines are already quite long when I finished.

I rushed back home and immediately drove the same car-track combo in GT6 to compare.

IMO, GTS is pretty underwhelming. Graphics look good but the physics are only marginally improved over GT6. I think GT5 to GT6 is a bigger leap than GT6 to GTS tbh. Lift off oversteer is more pronounced (entry to Paddock Hill and Dingle Dell is especially tricky). Previously you can only get lift off oversteer if you turn ABS off in GT6, but GTS with ABS on you also get it. Corner exit throttle management is also more sensitive, coming out of Druids you can just floor it in GT6 but I had to catch a slide a couple times in GTS. Aside from that, mid corner behaviour is pretty much the same. Engine braking behaviour is also the same. Disappointingly, I can feel a hint of the "Ridge Racer" style braking exploit still present in the physics. Going into Stirlings bend I can get an extra rotation using this. No, it's not as bad as 2015 GT Academy (Round 2 was also GT-R GT3 at Brands), but it's still there.

Wheel FFB I can't comment much because I have a G25 at home so it's not a direct comparison. I have to say the T300 doesn't impress me that much. It's smoother but it doesn't give any extra info that my G25 already provides. Maybe it's just the FFT settings though. I run FFT 10 at home and everything just feels stronger. GTS feels flaky and numb by comparison. Again, could just be the wheel so don't take this as gospel.

Sounds are slightly improved. They provide headphones so I don't know how much that improves things. The basic sound of the GT-R is the same, but the turbo BOVs are very pronounced on lift off and downshifting. Oddly I don't think the real car has those sounds, but it does make the game less sterile.

AI wise they seem to be more aware of surroundings. Still pretty slow though. In the 2 lap pre-quali I started last and got to 3rd by the end of lap 1, and passed the 1st place guy just at the finish line. I made 2-3 mistakes in that race. Could be just the difficulty is put on Easy, but with PD, I gave up on AI a long time ago. Damage is also non-existent. Same bumper car affair of past games.

I think that's all I can glean from the short experience. I'm doing this to get a feel for GTS and the T300 more than GT Academy :lol: Sad to say I'm not really impressed. I'll probably still get GTS but it'll be more for the photomode Scapes more than the actual driving. After comparing with GT6 I also did a few laps in AC with the same combo, and the difference in physics and FFB is just from another world.

My quick laptime comparisons
GTS 1.26.9xx (RS)
GT6 1.24 (RH), 1.22 (RS)
AC 1.28 (RS on low fuel)

Good luck to everyone participating :)

EDIT: Someone got a 1.23.9xx, just as I predicted (courtesy of Nissan Australia's twitter). That was set quite early in the day, so maaaaybe a low 1.23 is possible. These aliens never cease to amaze me 👍

Last edited:
Hey LeGeNd, when you say 3 tries per location, is that 3 tries at the 4 lap TT at Brands Hatch? And are there more TT when you say 'per location'?

TIA, Michael

Hey LeGeNd, when you say 3 tries per location, is that 3 tries at the 4 lap TT at Brands Hatch? And are there more TT when you say 'per location'?

TIA, Michael

I asked one of the staff how many goes you can have during the day and he said probably around 3, depending on the crowd/queue. I didn't go back again though so I don't know if that's a hard limit. And yes I mean 3 x 4 laps.

By location I mean Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast. I assume the rules will be the same in all 3.

Thanks LeGeNd! Been practicing hard at Brand's Hatch since your post yesterday and have my RS PB at 1:20.4, may be able to give it a crack on the Gold Coast!

Also, is it the GT-R GT3 RJN or the N24 that they are using?

Edit: Just reviewed your comment about its the same as the 2015 GT Academy round 2, I'm using the right car then haha

Last edited:
Give you all a bit of a heads-up on the times you're aiming for.

The qualifying time is 1:30 against easy AI at Brands in a two lap race. All assists are on, which include apex markers, braking (literally don't touch the brake pedal) and ASM.

The time-trial is no assists but ABS on 1.
My best time was 1:23.304, however I felt I had another half a second.

I was there from 11-3:30, so I got a lot of the field to test against.
The fastest 6 we're not above 1:22:xxx

The fastest was set by a 15 year old kid of 1:21:4xx, but I witnessed a couple of former academy finalists do 1:22s.

So, even with those three out, there were 1:21 laps and a lot of 1:22s.

Physics wise it isn't much different to GT6 in my opinion, there is no weight transfer effect to speak of and, whilst I believe it was the wheel setup, you had to put far too much steering input in to the car to make it turn.

The cockpit cam now has helmet 'sway' with the g-forces, so I'd recommend not trying to go fast with it.

The car was the Team Schulze GT3 car, the only car in the entire game they used for the race.

My advice is to be super aggressive on the power except for turn 2, otherwise you're not going to steer anywhere near as sharply as you can.

Top guys were aiming to be super close to the apex, but they are going to discount laps for going more than 2 tyres off track.

Stick to the inside of the track for as long as possible, just doing it on the start-finish stretch is worth .2xx of a second.

Finally, expect lots of waiting.
Like, at least 45 minutes waiting between each turn.

Hey serpentman, so would you say that the times set in GT6 could compare to the ones set in GTS? As in if I set a fast lap on GT6, it could compare to setting it on GTS?

Finally, how did your lap compare to that when you were playing GT6?

Cheers!

Hey serpentman, so would you say that the times set in GT6 could compare to the ones set in GTS? As in if I set a fast lap on GT6, it could compare to setting it on GTS?

Cheers!

I was faster on GT6 due to familiarity and a more forgiving model of physics to be honest.
The environment wasn't brilliant, they had screens with heaps of glare and not a lot of brightness compared to the sun and stage lights.

GT6 is probably 90% of what GTS is physics wise, so I'd say they were quite comparable.
Coming from playing a lot of RFactor, I can tell you I dropped 2 seconds between my first and second runs, purely because I pushed much harder than I'm used to.

I was faster on GT6 due to familiarity and a more forgiving model of physics to be honest.
The environment wasn't brilliant, they had screens with heaps of glare and not a lot of brightness compared to the sun and stage lights.

GT6 is probably 90% of what GTS is physics wise, so I'd say they were quite comparable.
Coming from playing a lot of RFactor, I can tell you I dropped 2 seconds between my first and second runs, purely because I pushed much harder than I'm used to.

Ahh ok, I had better get practicing! Final question if you don't mind, but how much faster were you on GT6? Like the 1.21's or 1.20's?

It definately is the blue and white GT3 GT-R they are using, the N24?

Thanks, Michael

Also, is it the GT-R GT3 RJN or the N24 that they are using?

Edit: Just reviewed your comment about its the same as the 2015 GT Academy round 2, I'm using the right car then haha

Sorry I should've been more clear. It's the blue Schulze GTR. My comment it being the same as GTA Round 2 is because it was also GTR at Brands. It doesn't really matter though as the RJN car is mechanically the same 👍

Cheers!

As you can see from my initial post, I set 1.26 in GTS and 1.22 in GT6 with the same tyres (RS) after 4 laps each. Keep in mind though that I'm a lot more comfortable in GT6 and using my own wheel. The top times in GT Academy last year was 1.21-1.22 with RH tyres, so with RS you should probably aim for high 1.19 or low 1.20 to be safe. Which you already are 👍

Physics wise it isn't much different to GT6 in my opinion, there is no weight transfer effect to speak of and, whilst I believe it was the wheel setup, you had to put far too much steering input in to the car to make it turn.

Top guys were aiming to be super close to the apex, but they are going to discount laps for going more than 2 tyres off track.

Finally, expect lots of waiting.
Like, at least 45 minutes waiting between each turn.

The wheel FFB felt weird to me. It feels like there's a lot of deadzone in the middle and as you said it needs a lot more steering angle to turn the same amount compared to GT6. I had a peek at driving options and Controller Sensitivity was set to 3, so maybe that's why.

Track limit rules that I got were max 2 wheels on the kerbs. Anymore than that and you're DSQ. That means you can't get any wheel on the grass/dirt.

If you get there before it opens you'll be first in line and you don't need to wait ;)

Just curious, how many tries did you do? And how many tries did the top guys do?

Sorry I should've been more clear. It's the blue Schulze GTR. My comment it being the same as GTA Round 2 is because it was also GTR at Brands. It doesn't really matter though as the RJN car is mechanically the same 👍

Are you sure they aren't different? When I was with the RJN I got that 1.20.4 that I posted earlier after about 3 days of practice and then with the Schulze I posted a 1.19.3 today.

Thanks for all this info BTW!! Really helping me prep.

You don't think they will change tracks at each location to stop people like me getting some practice in, albeit obviously on a different game?

Edit: Just had a look at both cars, the Schulze has around 90 extra hp with the RJN being 609PP and the Schulze being 638PP

Are you sure they aren't different? When I was with the RJN I got that 1.20.4 that I posted earlier after about 3 days of practice and then with the Schulze I posted a 1.19.3 today.

Thanks for all this info BTW!! Really helping me prep.

You don't think they will change tracks at each location to stop people like me getting some practice in, albeit obviously on a different game?

Edit: Just had a look at both cars, the Schulze has around 90 extra hp with the RJN being 609PP and the Schulze being 638PP

Most likely you just got better mate. If you want proof, just buy the Schulze and RJN and take a look at the numbers in garage settings. They are identical.

Don't think they will change tracks. At least not for each country, otherwise it's gonna be unfair no?

I think you're confusing the Schulze Nurburgring 24H car (black). There's a Schulze GT-R GT3 (the dark blue in Arcade Mode Courtesy car) which is exactly the same as RJN (white-red).

Most likely you just got better mate. If you want proof, just buy the Schulze and RJN and take a look at the numbers in garage settings. They are identical.

Don't think they will change tracks. At least not for each country, otherwise it's gonna be unfair no?

I think you're confusing the Schulze Nurburgring 24H car (black). There's a Schulze GT-R GT3 (the dark blue in Arcade Mode Courtesy car) which is exactly the same as RJN (white-red).

Yea that's exactly what I did, thanks for correcting me I'll go practice on that one!

I went to the Melbourne event on Sunday and used a controller instead of a wheel and pedals because I am in a wheelchair. Anyway, I managed to set a best time of 1:28.671 - I'm told that's pretty quick for a controller, so I'm happy. Couldn't have gone much quicker really...

Back